Monday, August 26, 2013

To my readers some childhood memories

Favorite books my whole life:
  Peter Pan by James M. Barrie
  The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen
  Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  Nancy Drew Series by Carolyn Keene
  Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
  Father Thrift and His Amimal Friends by Joseph C. Sindelar
  The Bible, New American Standard

As an adult I added:
  Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  Christy by Catherine Marshall


As a kid I lived in an home built in the 1800's that had been used by the Wells Fargo Company.  We lived on 33 acres of land that had two ponds, some woods and old farm land.  I would go down to the area where my father had pushed the top soil into piles to sell to builders of new houses.  There was dried dirt, mud, and patterns.  In my head, I made this my Neverland.  Every time I visited this place, I would image Neverland stories with the Lost Boys and Captain Hook and the Mermaids that lived in the lagoon. This was one of my most memorable times.

In the summer, my father and I traveled throughout New York State in an old Jeep Scout that he called "Jenny".  He would take off both doors and the hood.  He would then secure the windshield down on the hood. We  traveled where ever my father thought he would find a deal.  It was so much fun! When we got home he fixed the purchase, painted it, and sold it for twice the price he bought it for.
We explored every tractor or farm equipment sale, garage sales, rummage sales - what ever we could find.

No comments:

Post a Comment